[Tagging] railway=rail vs. railway=subway

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Nov 23 14:09:24 UTC 2016

Michael Tsang <miklcct at gmail.com> writes:

> - Railway with long distance and commuter trains: railway=rail

ok

> - Railway with metro services only: railway=subway

+0

> - Railway with street intersection: railway=light_rail

I don't follow this.  light rail is about the cars being lighter and
perhaps the rails being built to a lower weight limit, and it isn't
about grade crossings.  Around me there is real rail with fll-sized
enginers and is fully freight capable that has level crossings.
Definteliy not light_rail because of crossings.

> - Railway mainly with tracks embedded on the street: railway=tram

agreed.

One of the tricky things, as Bill Ricker points out downthread, is
Boston's Green line.  This is fundamentally light rail. Sometimes it
runs in tunnels.  Sometimes it runs in a fenced-off median but does have
level crossings.  These are controlled by stoplights (for both train and
cars), rather than train-priority crossing gates.  And sometimes it runs
on tracks in the street where cars also drive.