[Tagging] railway=rail vs. railway=subway

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Nov 23 14:11:59 UTC 2016

Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Michael Tsang <miklcct at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Oh really. Boston MBTA green line is a subway line that extends onto
>> > surface streets. Not full rail gauge iirc (though other lines are) and
>> > neither surface or tunnel curves could handle freight cars. The surface
>> > trolley portions that run down boulevard median are direct line
>> extensions
>> > of the tunnel line but do have grade crossings at boulevard stoplights.
>> Then I think it should be railway=light_rail
>
> ​and the way magically transforms to railway=subway at the tunnel portal?

This is the real difficulty.  One approach is to tag the 3 parts
separately, and the other is to say that if individual trains run end to
end, then there should be consistent tagging.

So I would lean to railway=light_rail for the entire line, splitting the
difference on both sides with subway and tram.

Or, it could be reasonable to tag as subway/light_rail/tram as it
changes.  These changing points are obvious on the ground (first grade
crossing, and end of fences to keep cars off tracks).