[Tagging] railway=rail vs. railway=subway

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 20:17:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> > ​and the way magically transforms to railway=subway at the tunnel portal?
>
> This is the real difficulty.  One approach is to tag the 3 parts
> separately, and the other is to say that if individual trains run end to
> end, then there should be consistent tagging.

​If a Route relation is going to go end to end, I'd think consistency would
be nice.​

> So I would lean to railway=light_rail for the entire line, splitting the
> difference on both sides with subway and tram.
>
> Or, it could be reasonable to tag as subway/light_rail/tram as it
> changes.  These changing points are obvious on the ground (first grade
> crossing, and end of fences to keep cars off tracks).

​I'm trying to remember if it's still using catenary power in the ​tunnel
as it did in the old days (during initial transition from trolley to
pantograph), or if the GL tunnels now have 3rd rail.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux