[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - flight route

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Mon Nov 28 12:24:13 UTC 2016

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 10:00, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
>
> On 28.11.2016 11:27, Michael Tsang wrote:
>> The consensus is that the flight path should not be mapped, but we are
>> interested the airport (Stop positions and platforms) where the flight
>> serves.
>
> Platforms, a.k.a. Gates, can already be mapped. Which flight they serve
> changes every day, this is neither mappable nor verifyable nor maintainable.
>
> tom

Best option is to map routes as Terminal endpoints (in almost all cases, terminal remains the same over long periods, and are verifiable), with no itinerary members. A duration tag would be needed to calculate travel time. This way, a transport routing could take air travel into account, without introducing unverifiable data and flightpaths into the database. PS, flight paths are not as fixed as bus lanes, and the actual route of the plane varies with weather forecasts, traffic density, traffic priority, type of aircraft in service, and much more.

Aun Johnsen