[Tagging] highway=primary/secondary/tertiary - tag according to quality or usage?

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:39:44 UTC 2016

Dear all,

There are some highways which the quality isn't up to the usage, resulting in
congestion. Those highways connects high-quality motorway/trunk/primary
highways together for long distance traffic, but they only have a single lane
per direction, with lots of traffic lights, junctions, driveways, etc.,
resulting in slow traffic. Because the absence of roads of proper quality, those
low quality roads become bottlenecks in the whole network.

A while ago, I tagged them all with highway=tertiary, consistent with the
quality of highways around the region, disregarding the actual kinds of traffic
on the highway, and someone retagged them as highway=primary reflecting the
actual usage for long-distance inter-town traffic, and send a message to me
about that.

What's the correct tag then?

Michael
--