[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - flight route

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Mon Nov 28 13:50:42 UTC 2016

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 11:36, tagging-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As said, no need to draw paths as way in OSM : they can be drawed by any
> customized render engine when start and stop point are known.
> +1 to make relation with airports as only members.

>> A duration tag would be needed to calculate travel time. This way, a
>> transport routing could take air travel into account, without introducing
>> unverifiable data and flightpaths into the database.
>>

> I respectably disagree : how would a routing engine do to route pedestrian
> on roads where only motor vehicle speed/travel time is known ?
> Speed and so time depend on the aircraft you use to go down a specific
> geographic path.
>
> This data should not be added to OSM.
> It is a routing engine parameter actually.
>
> All the best
>
> François
Any single route is defined in tables with an expected travel time (which does not always include taxi time on the grund), so for instance, it would be expected that a flight between two airports have a determined time consume. Further, you need to do checkin at a certain time before scheduled departure, and retrieval of luggage have an expected time, as well as a minimum time for connections. This way, the router will only need to know end-points of the route, but it need to be able to link up against departure times. Since each airline most likely have multiple services (with different ID number) between the same two airports, the data is more likely to be a table, best stored in a separate database, but with end-points linked to OSM-objects. The air-route relation is far from an ideal solution, only a work-around for not needing the routing engine to check multiple databases.

A pedestrian routing engine would use average walking speed as a base for travel speed instead of signed motor vehicle speed, and if intelligent enough allow to combine with public transportation.

Aun Johnsen