[Tagging] fixme -- by a specific date

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Nov 28 19:29:13 UTC 2016

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> The seasonal tag[1] already exists for very general 'seasonal availability' of features.  This works for a very rough approximation of actual availability which may be enough for some use cases. This could (should?) be used as a fallback. What I am after is a higher fidelity solution that also goes beyond 'seasonality'. What do you think?
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal>
>
> Martijn van Exel
> http://mvexel.github.io/ <http://mvexel.github.io/>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com <mailto:bill.n1vux at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org <mailto:m at rtijn.org>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When mapping seasonal closures here in Utah[1] I realized I am still missing a solid way to mark a road as closed for the season and then have some level of confidence that someone will look at it in the spring and 'reopen' it. More generally for someone to map a feature and somehow tag it as needing another look by a certain date.
>
> ​Seems to me that seasonal roads should have some sort of seasonal availability tag, similar to how a park gate might have dawn-to-dusk availability, so that a router (possibly using a Lambertus Garmin map) to get the right answer even if the download was not since the latest state change. (Yes, there are some parkways through parks that are usable through routes in daylight.)

A number of state highway routes through the Sierra Nevada are closed in winter. The rub is, the real closure is from first significant snowfall until it either melts or they bring in the rotary plows in spring.  This varies wildly from year to year. And with the current drought, there have been times when normally closed highways have remained open nearly all winter. The best source of status on this is the CalTrans website.

More local to where I currently am, there are county highways that are low on the plowing priority list and can be closed for significant amount of time until resources are available to clear the road. In the case I am thinking of, the county maintains a status page listing all closures and the reason for the closure.

Seems like there ought to be a way to tag the road with a link to the authoritative source for the status.

It would be nice if there were a standard set of APIs that those different authoritative sources had in common: Then it might be possible to add tagging that would allow a router to check the status. But at the moment all I am aware of is stuff designed to be read by a human not parsed by a machine.