[Tagging] better mapping for embankments / slopes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:03:57 UTC 2016

Not all embankment have 2 slopes .. nor does a 'slope' describe all of
the properties of an embankment. The same problem exists for a 'cliff'
and a 'cutting' ... and stairs that cover a large area. So use what has
been done for them as a guide.

What are the key properties of these features ...

Length - simple set as the length of the way. Cliffs are tagged as a
single way at the top of the cliff, with the right hand side being
'downwards' when facing the direction of the way.

Vertical rise - could be tagged with the height key.. this can vary over
the length of the feature (I have found this on some maps as a number in
meters ... assumed to be the maximum vertical locally rise in meters) To
accomodate teh change in vertical height .. put the height on individual
nodes?

Slope - or in OSM terms 'incline'. This in OSM is entered as a way along
the top where the slope would be minimal and not what 'we' want to
describe. ... as cliffs, cuttings and embankments are best described
this way I think incline may not be the best thing to tag? Humm stairs
are described using the incline key ... but on a way that goes up ..
leaving the top and bottom free of this. So maybe a top and bottom way
.. with a simple way from bottom to top containing the incline information?

While the 'top' and 'bottom' of natural features can be a bit fuzzy they
are features that should be mapped. Definition? Something for a
geologist? Along the lines of the line formed by the intersection of the
average slope of land before the change to the average slope of land
after the change ( the change being the cliff, embankment or cutting)?