[Tagging] better mapping for embankments / slopes

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Nov 30 00:30:35 UTC 2016

Javbw
> On 30 Nov 2016, at 7:28 AM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 'Embankment' is frequently used for a built-up structure on a steep hillside that keeps a road, railroad, or similar feature from sliding into a gorge or river.

So a retaining wall (or reinforced "retaining slope"?) is when an embankment / cutting is covered with a man made structure, like concrete, bricks,rocks, or a soil-nail wall?

So a road in a "cutting" could be surrounded by an embankment or a retaining wall?

Here are some terraced embankments cut into the ground. They are bare rock.  The motorway here is 40-50m below ground level - they removed an entire mountain to make this deep cutting. The two sides used to be connected by a single gentle slope before.

https://goo.gl/maps/8X3uiCNq1JH2

In my home town in Japan they cut away a hillside, Forming 3 terraced embankments, to widen a train line going into town.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.41246/139.32270

If you are going to have relations of top and bottom, I think you also need "side" - often the ends are an angle, ending up looking like a trapezoid.

Javbw