[Tagging] Railway=station + area=yes questions:

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 21:54:35 UTC 2016

On 03-Oct-16 08:43 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     What is this "whole station"?????
>     Does that include;
>     a bus interchange located for rail passengers convenience?
>     a parking lot located for rail passengers use?
>

> you can decide this, typically I would say yes, these could be part.
>
>     As a node it is well defined.
>     As an area its definition is nonexistant.
>     The train station area can have added details;
>     the area defined using landuse tag
>     any buildings/roof defined using the building tag
>     and so on (e.g. cafes, newsagent, toilet).
>

> You can't actually tell the "train station area" if you mapped only a
> node.
>

>     I think the 'node only' is best and simplest.
>

> just do it then, nobody forces you to say how big a station is, what
> shape it has, where the exits are, what POIs belong to it, etc., just
> use a node and be done with it. Simple.

Complex.

One 'station' could be mapped as an area to include lots of things that
could be considered to provide services to train passengers.
The next 'station' could then be mapped as an area to only include the
platform.

There is then inconsistent mapping .. that looks to the map user that
one station is far bigger and therefore more important than the other.
In other words this will be a mess, it probably is now.

> FWIW, railway=station was defined on areas until someone decided to
> remove it in 2015. Looking at the actual data (which the wiki should
> document), there are 10% train stations mapped as areas, usage on ways
> growing constantly since 2009, growth on nodes slowed slightly down
> since 2013.

Defined? As in a formal statement of the meaning of a 'railway=station'?

Or that 'railway=station' could be used on an area? That is not a
definition, but a statement of use.

--------------------------
What does 'railway station' mean?

One definition is 'A place where a train regularly stops'.  Another is
'The building or buildings where a train regularly stops'.

As there will be some stations that have no buildings I would think the
first definition should be used. This definition would clearly exclude
all ancillary services.

--------------- From taginfo
building=train_station  some 16,742 instances in the data base.

landuse=train_station 0 instances ... probably not using the best search
terms here?

I see nothing wrong with mapping

The 'train station' as a single node with train=station, name=x

The 'train station' buildings as areas with building=train_station

The 'train station' service area as an area with
public_transport=station !    see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstation