[Tagging] Railway=station + area=yes questions:

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:37:03 UTC 2016

> The main problem I see for mapping stations as areas is the lack of
> defined boundaries. Compared to other types of POIs, the definition of
> a "station area" strongly differs depending on the background of the
> mapper and the use case.

most/many stations are fenced, using the fence perimeter will typically
give you a very good polygon approximation for a minimum size, especially
compared to a single node with no spatial extent at all.

> If you map the station from a passenger view, you would draw an area
> containing the platforms, the station building and maybe a bit more or
> less, depending on the mapper's definition of station. I think that
> such an area should not be mapped because it is possible to generate it
> by creating buffers around platforms, station building and station
> node.

creating a buffer is error prone, based on generalized assumptions and will
likely lead to smaller than desirable polygons (or bigger, if you use a big
buffer), it will always be a compromise.

> If you map the station from the view of railway staff, the extend of a
> station is well defined, but that is often far more than the area which
> is relevant for passengers.

IF the station area is well defined (what you seem to confirm), it is only
a question of finding out this defined area. Just do it like we map
everything: start with a best guess and iteratively improve your first
version later on.

> There is also the problem that e.g. if you
> want to render a caption and use the centroid for placement, the
> caption will often not appear at a correct position.

this has nothing to do with how to best map something, it is a rendering
problem (and "correct" in this context is 100% subjective).

Cheers,
Martin