[Tagging] Amphitheatre or outdoor non-sports venue

johnw johnw at mac.com
Wed Sep 14 08:22:56 UTC 2016

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 2:15 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:
>

>> is there some amenity=* tag I am missing that I should be using?
>> Putting “stadium” or sports venue on these seems pretty wrong.
>
> Is there anything about amenity=arts_centre that says it has to
> necessarily be indoor?
>
> I propose:
>
> amenity=arts_centre and either:
> arts_centre=ampitheatre or
> arts_centre=outdoor

I like the arts_centre=outdoor sub-tag. Although the stage may be covered or structural (like the Hollywood Bowl), the fact that the seating is permanently outdoors and/or built into the terrain seems to be a key feature.

Wikipedia has 3 categories - historic, modern, and natural.

Perhaps arts_centre=amphitheatre” can be an arts centre with a large substantial structure for the performance area.

Wikipedia has a huge list of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_contemporary_amphitheatres <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_contemporary_amphitheatres>

I think that sub-tag value is inevitable.

However, the other ones I mentioned, particularly Mt Helix, is a famous venue, but it is much smaller and offers little to no protection for the performers, however. [ehh… It is on the list of amphitheatres (not by me), so I don’t know where the line should be drawn…]  But the smaller venues found in parks, school grounds, camps, and corporate facilities would benefit from having arts_centre=outdoors, esp since they are small and offer little-to-no protection (or facilities) for a venue.

I just thought of this: I was looking for a way to tag a stage that is in our park. the entire park is converted into an event space during summer events - dance contests and concerts are held there for a few days each year. Other people have been looking for a way to tag random “stages” that are permanent structures *but* are used only when called upon. Tagging the park as an outdoor event space seems wrong, so having a arts_centre=stage tag could be useful: here is a place where events are held, here is the permanent structure that is built, but it is considered an amenity to a larger facility ( a stage in a park, a stage in a corporate campus or school grounds.) my high school, my old employer, and my town park all have a visible-via-imagery stage structure that uses the surrounding grass, normally used for other things, as an event space rarely when desired.

Unlike the “outdoor” - an area purposefully built and used just for performances, a stage would be an amenity of a larger outdoor multi-use facility.

So:

arts_centre=amphitheatre
arts_centre=outdoor
arts_centre=stage