[Tagging] Amphitheatre or outdoor non-sports venue

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 08:31:28 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 14 set 2016, alle ore 07:15, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> ha scritto:
>
> Is there anything about amenity=arts_centre that says it has to
> necessarily be indoor?
>
> I propose:
>
> amenity=arts_centre and either:
> arts_centre=ampitheatre or
> arts_centre=outdoor

I find this a bit of a stretch. To me it seems more similar to a theatre, although that doesn't catch it well either (because there isn't a theatre institution, just a theatre structure).
What about man_made=amphitheatre ? I have mapped some historic ones as building=amphitheatre and there are also few historic=amphitheatre
http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/historic=amphitheatre
http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/building=amphitheatre
http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/man_made=amphitheatre
http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/amenity=amphitheatre
http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/leisure=amphitheatre

usage numbers are all low, so I wouldn't pay too much attention, rather choose the tag that seems best suited for mapping a generic amphitheatre structure and put up a proposal in the wiki for documentation

cheers,
Martin