[Tagging] Amphitheatre or outdoor non-sports venue

EthnicFood IsGreat ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 18:51:57 UTC 2016

> Il giorno 14 set 2016, alle ore 07:15, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> ha scritto:
>
> Is there anything about amenity=arts_centre that says it has to
> necessarily be indoor?
>
> I propose:
>
> amenity=arts_centre and either:
> arts_centre=ampitheatre or
> arts_centre=outdoor

> I find this a bit of a stretch. To me it seems more similar to a theatre, although that doesn't catch it well either (because there isn't a > theatre institution, just a theatre structure).
> What about man_made=amphitheatre ? I have mapped some historic ones as building=amphitheatre and there are also few historic=amphitheatre
> http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/historic=amphitheatre
> http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/building=amphitheatre
> http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/man_made=amphitheatre
> http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/amenity=amphitheatre
> http://taginfo.osm.org/tags/leisure=amphitheatre

> usage numbers are all low, so I wouldn't pay too much attention, rather choose the tag that seems best suited for mapping a generic amphitheatre structure and put up a proposal in the wiki for documentation

> cheers,
> Martin

I agree with Martin.  I think any tag that has the connotation of arts
or theatre is too restrictive, because not all outdoor amphitheatres
are used for these purposes.  I know of some at religious sites that
are only used for worship.  I would prefer man_made=amphitheatre, with
subtags to describe how the amphitheatre is used or what type it is.

Mark Bradley