[Tagging] Abusing name tags on type=route

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Sep 18 10:47:42 UTC 2016

On 9/18/2016 1:11 AM, Michael Tsang wrote:
> the use of name=* key on a public transport route is considered an abuse
> (unless the route has a real name). However, without abusing the name tag, the
> life is difficult for both the mapper and the user.

   I proceed with the 'abuse'.   It's one thing to argue that editors
should be smart enough to fall back to other means of identification,
but then there's still the array of tools used in the rest of the OSM
world.   In my case, I monitor the changesets in my area.   I completely
missed that a bunch of bus routes had been munged by an edit that
combined road segments that included the bus routes (with no warning
from the editor).  The transport relations appeared as an anonymous list
of relation numbers.

   So, while it may be semantically wrong to assign a name, I'm not
convinced that it harms the data.