[Tagging] tagging floodplain

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 07:52:34 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 26 set 2016, alle ore 02:00, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> ha scritto:
>
> I don't have my own definition, and I don't want to make up a new one. A quick search revealed these:
>
> a nearly flat plain along the course of a stream or river that is naturally subject to flooding.
> an area of low, flat land along a stream or river that may flood
> an area of land built up from soil left by floods
> level land that may be submerged by floodwaters
> a plain built up by stream deposition
> They all sound rather open to interpretation, but they are all based on natural phenomena, not government classifications.

the definitions you found are all reasonable for natural=floodplain and are all describing the same situation, although with different focus on which aspect is named.

The definition given above in this thread describing government dedication of land is not suitable for the natural tag and should go into the boundary tag (and subkeys), if entered into osm at all.

cheers,
Martin