[Tagging] [OSM-talk] non-temporary usage of highway=road

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 17:56:11 UTC 2016

On 27/09/2016 18:37, Aun Johnsen wrote:

> The use of highway=road would not be an issue if people used it to
> mark off an area where they are going to do survey or gather more
> information. It becomes an issue when people use it to map an entire
> town, and check it off as completed.

I'd suggest talking to the users concerned - the easiest way is via a
changeset discussion comment.  If they're unsure what road category to
use, you can point at other nearby examples in the imagery and say "I'd
map that as residential" or similar.

> During my cleanup rush I have seen examples of this where the roads
> haven’t been further edited for 10 months. The result is that the town
> continues to remain unmapped for data consumers, i.e., my downloaded
> Garmin maps will still not route to the town, but looking at Mapnik
> hows it has been mapped.

Well your Garmin maps are under your control; you can choose to treat
highway=road as routable if you want to!  I do.

> iD, JOSM, and other editors should warn about this situation,

JOSM warns about _everything_ already.  You've had the conversation with
iD's maintainer and have yet to persuade.

> and validating tools such as KeepRight and Maproulette should
> highlight it as incomplete, so that they doesn’t remain as
> highway=road for extended time.

Plenty do already, surely?

Best Regards,
Andy