[Tagging] [OSM-talk] non-temporary usage of highway=road

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 18:12:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest talking to the users concerned - the easiest way is via a
> changeset discussion comment.  If they're unsure what road category to use,
> you can point at other nearby examples in the imagery and say "I'd map that
> as residential" or similar.

Of course, there's the never ending discussion of whether most rural roads
in the US are tertiary, residential, unclassified or service. Our
classification system is untidy at best. (I generally don't even try to get
those distinctions right - there is no 'right'.) But I don't call them
'road' - I didn't even know such a thing existed until I saw this thread.