[Tagging] [Talk-us] Bar vs Pub vs Restaurant in the US?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 17:59:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> I agree with the "what does it feel like" part, but not "what the locals
> call it".  One of the central issues in tagging in OSM is that words are
> used for a specific meaning (usually UK usage, as we know) and the point
> is to have a consistent labeling of things around the world, even if
> local language is different.  So that leads to "what would someone from
> the UK, but who had lived in the area for a year, call it?"

What procedure do you recommend for those of us who don't have expatriate
Britons on call? We Americans are, as you are well aware, entirely ignorant
of cultures other than our own. (And would the thing be called by the same
word in Glasgow or Cardiff as it would in London?)

To misquote Shaw (who, as an Irishman, could presumably take a neutral
point of view [yeah, right!]), the US and the UK are two nations divided by
their common language.

"The Queen's English? Of course I can speak the Queens English. I was born
in Queens."