[Tagging] [Talk-us] Bar vs Pub vs Restaurant in the US?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 22:18:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Kevin Kenny
<kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> What procedure do you recommend for those of us who don't have expatriate
> Britons on call?

Officially we should read the OSM wiki.

( We can also watch BBC America and/or cultivate expat Brit friends. :-)

> We Americans are, as you are well aware, entirely ignorant
> of cultures other than our own. (And would the thing be called by the same
> word in Glasgow or Cardiff as it would in London?)

Yeah, there's a reason the language is called English not British :-)
There's even strong dialect in England even before you get to Scots.
But they have a received standard that we can pretend is understood
throughout the English speaking world.

> To misquote Shaw (who, as an Irishman, could presumably take a neutral point
> of view [yeah, right!]), the US and the UK are two nations divided by their
> common language.

Or even better, misquoting Churchill misquoting Shaw to us in the provinces !

> "The Queen's English? Of course I can speak the Queens English. I was born
> in Queens."

That's a lovely contrast of quotes ! :-)

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux