[Tagging] [Talk-us] Bar vs Pub vs Restaurant in the US?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Sep 30 00:08:30 UTC 2016

Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree with the "what does it feel like" part, but not "what the locals
>> call it".  One of the central issues in tagging in OSM is that words are
>> used for a specific meaning (usually UK usage, as we know) and the point
>> is to have a consistent labeling of things around the world, even if
>> local language is different.  So that leads to "what would someone from
>> the UK, but who had lived in the area for a year, call it?"
>
> What procedure do you recommend for those of us who don't have expatriate
> Britons on call? We Americans are, as you are well aware, entirely ignorant
> of cultures other than our own. (And would the thing be called by the same
> word in Glasgow or Cardiff as it would in London?)

A fair point, but I think the big issue is to be aware that the word in
the tag has some meaning and try to figure that out and follow it,
rather than saying "amenity=foo must mean what I happen to think of as
foo".

Besides the issue of words like flat and boot being totally different, I
think the really serious mismatch in tagging due to american vs english
customs is about the primary/secondary/tertiary labels.  I never really
understood that but after driving in Scotland for a few weeks have some
appreciation for how minor a C road is.   This makes the
pub/cafe/etc. distinction seem very minor.