[Tagging] [Talk-us] Bar vs Pub vs Restaurant in the US?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 05:07:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would change "There's even strong dialect in England"to 'There are many
> dialects in England'!

Quite so.

But they do have a core standard that is to be understood by all at
least when written.
( albeit less rigorously enforced than L'Academie Francaise, moreso
than any defense of American orthodoxy.)

And as the center to which at least all Commonwealth Nations look for
linguistic authority, not at all a bad choice for a global project,
even if confusing to us Yanks.
    OTOH, now that as many or more non-native learners of English will
be learning Hollywood American rather than British English, it may
perhaps do them a disservice, to have a global project hew to Brit
nomenclature, as they may be less aware of the odd gap than the native
speakers of USA and Commonwealth. ( Good luck to them finding a token
machine and timetable in a British subway ! )

But that ship has sailed, this taxonomy is mostly in EN_UK for good or ill.

In a controlled vocabulary such as this (Taxonomy, Ontology, whatever
buzzword you like), the word means what it's defined as *here* not
what it means in whatever natural language it was lifted out of
(looted, purloined, liberated) for this technical purpose.
     OSM:"roundabout" etc may (usually) be more like
EN_UK:"roundabout" than EN_US:"roundabout" etc, but it's a mistake to
think all the diverse shadings of a EN_UK word (see Camb.Dict or
Ox.Dict for how many they catalog! ) would apply in a Taxonomic usage.

( US and UK words should provide a clue, there should be
search-optimization in the wiki of course, so that one can find the
accepted synonym and it's definition and limitations in Taxonomy
    , to wit ,
   boot : similar to USA term "trunk(car)", not "athletic shoe";
           for USA term "boot" see "parking enforcement" (or overshoes...)
  )

I haven't found it hard to find things in Wiki; I think the hard part
is realizing one may need to look at the wiki before picking a likely
looking word from a JOSM etc pulldown.

OTOH, mapping a point amenity and guessing wrong is better than not
mapping it at all, provided we don't get ego-invested in editwars when
someone improves the coding to conformant.

As to whether Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks are a Cafe or Fast Food, i
remember when Dunkin baked on site, but they don't any more. They
sacked Mr Time to Bake the Donuts.  :motorcycle:  :shark:  Starbucks
has real baristas, who do orders one at a time and don't wait till
(work register), but DD has clerks who push a button on a vending
machine which I could push as well as they. I think i see which is
Fast Food. Sad, since DD (and HoJo) both started a few miles south of
me. The original DD is still in operation ...

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux