[Tagging] Mapping leats

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 21:54:21 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 21. Apr 2017, at 18:31, John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> but it's not for irrigation (spreading water over fields) and neither "drain" nor "ditch" are words I'd naturally use (as English words) for that --- I'd call it an irrigation channel.

yes, drain is about putting the water away, while irrigation is about distributing water/bringing it to the fields, so literally the opposite. It is a bad word for an unspecific artificial waterway because it bears the very specific function in it.

I agree here with Christoph, I'm also using these tags without looking too close at the actual meaning of the word in English, but we surely are missing an opportunity to describe well the size, nature and function of waterways in general.

cheers,
Martin