[Tagging] Mapping pubs as full areas

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 22 21:33:38 UTC 2017

Hi

It's been pointed out to me the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpub states "Set a node
or draw as an area along the building outline." This seems a bit
restrictive & outdated, given the high zoom  levels. Many pubs,
especially those out of the cities, can be fairly large areas.

Where appropriate I've been mapping them as 'full areas' by which I mean
a polygon which encompasses the boundary of the property to include all
parts such as garden, play area, car park etc.

On that polygon should be amenity=pub & all the other relevant tags. Any
buildings should be building=pub.

This ties in with the tagging format for other areas such as hospitals,
schools & universities etc.

Any specific reason why the wiki shouldn't be updated to include this? I
note those doing the 'standard map' carto are reluctant to render them,
but I see that as their problem & definitely not a reason to map as
suggested.

DaveF.