[Tagging] about landcover/landcover=grass

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 10:59:09 UTC 2017

On 23-Apr-17 08:25 PM, muzirian wrote:
> I was going through the landuse=grass. And found this there
>
>  "It is typical that landuse
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=*grass* is misused
> and should be changed to landcover
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=grass
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dgrass> (for
> example: patches of grass between tracks in railway corridor - area
> that should be tagged with landuse
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=railway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Drailway>)."
>
> And landcover=grass has a wiki page but when clicked on landcover it
> takes me to its proposal which and it doesnt say it has been approved
> or put to vote.
>
> I was wondering why landcover=grass has a page and directs people to
> use a tag for whose key hasnt been well documented or approved.

The situation is well presented on the landcover page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landcover

Show me where landuse has been put to a vote or approved?

landuse=grass would be vehemently rejected by many it it ever came up

The fact is that landcover=grass is much much better to describe any
area covered by grass.