[Tagging] about landcover/landcover=grass

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 20:50:24 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 23. Apr 2017, at 12:25, muzirian <muzirian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was wondering why landcover=grass has a page and directs people to use a tag for whose key hasnt been well documented or approved.

the thing is that voting is almost pointless (almost because it might impress less experienced mappers) because so few people participate that the outcome isn't representative in any way, and "approved" tags are ultimately on the same acceptance level as de-facto tags if they are used frequently and are less accepted if used just a few times (despite a "positive" voting outcome).

Just use the tags that seem most appropriate to you.

To me and probably to most, "grass" is not a kind of landuse, meadow would be, median strip would be (or more generally road related vegetation), but the tag has the advantage of leading to one of the desired results (getting a green area rendered in osm-carto and other styles) so it likely will be applied also in the future ;-)

cheers,
Martin