[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - (office=courier)"

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Apr 26 08:38:47 UTC 2017

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 8:46 PM, Tobias Wrede <list at tobias-wrede.de> wrote:
>
> Am 25.04.2017 um 11:21 schrieb John Willis:
>> If I search for a supermarket and you send me to a 7-11, you failed.
>
> I partly agree but when I tag Walmart or Trader Joe's as a supermarket's brand that carries a clear expectation towards the assortment of the store.

I didn’t send it to the mailing list by accident: here is the message he is quoting from in it’s entirety

Javbw

~~~~~

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 8:43 PM, Tobias Wrede <list at tobias-wrede.de <mailto:list at tobias-wrede.de>> wrote:
>
> a supermarket's brand that carries a clear expectation towards the assortment of the store.

This is true for all businesses in all counties. The regional assumption of what goods/services are available varies not only by "brand", but what each type of shop offers varies by culture - similar to what is available at a "drug store" and a "pharmacy". A drug store in the US often has a prescription pharmacy in the back.
What is considered a "prescription" and what is OTC is similar to the regional variation with of what is offered at a supermarket or a post office, but at least there is a clear separation between OTC and prescription drugs in most countries.

A Supermarket or department store o might also have most of what a drug store offers and a pharmacy (like target did). But in other cultures, for cultural or legal reasons, they might be separated, like here in Japan. So there is a need for both a "pharmacy" (chemist?) and a "drug store".

Whereas in the US, we would need a way to tag the prescription pharmacy as an amenity offered by a drug store or a department store.

I cannot think of a "pharmacy" shop that only sells perception medication and nothing else in the US - they are are (seemingly) always part of a larger drug store that sells chocolate and vitamins and OTC drugs and other not-drug stuff the Prescription drugs are just another thing they offer. But in Japan, the OTC stuff is separated from the prescription stuff, and a prescription shop is very tiny and sells (basically) only perceptions, nothing else _at all_.

Trying to tie them together saying "they both sell medicines" and "we can separate them by brand" and "we have so many variations we need to tag them in a different manner" breaks the tagging system for all of them completely, and does little to address the need for the "amenity" tag needed to add it onto larger businesses that offer an entire business' service as a department in their store - like a garden center at DIY shop, a custom-order cake shop inside a supermarket, or package drop-off&pickup for a courier at a convenience store.

Javbw.