[Tagging] Solar shop

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:45:35 UTC 2017

@John, I like the direction this is going but there are valid objections to
using the word power to begin the tag. I think there will be a need to
create a new shop tag either way.

Furthermore, shop=power_equipment is in use already and although there's no
Wiki entry for it, a quick Overpass query indicates it's being used for
shops that sell power tools like electric saws, lawnmowers and the like.
Consequently, I'm inclined to use shop=power_generators. However, as for
adapting SwimFast's method for the dependent tags, again I would be
reluctant to use power_generator=wind, etc., because of the existing focus
on power generating facilities for that tag.

That being said and because so much controversy surrounds using semicolons
to separate values, how about using the much underused "sells" tag? I never
understood why that tag is not being used more than it is currently.

That would leave us with:

sells:photovoltaic_devices=yes/no
sells:wind_turbines=yes/no

Dave

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:06 AM, SwiftFast <swiftfast at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 20:36 +0900, John Willis wrote:
> >
> > > On Aug 1, 2017, at 1:37 AM, SwiftFast <swiftfast at gmx.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > shop=renewable_energy_equipment
> >

> > This is the right idea, but I would actually go more broadly. There is
> gonna be different methods and combinations going forward.
> >
> > I would go with shop=power_generators and power=*, so any type of power
> generation can be specified (photovoltaic, wind, battery, etc), and can be
> made more specific as needed without making a new shop=* value.
> > Javbw
>
> I agree with the general idea. But using power= or generator:source=
> feels like misusing existing tags. These tags already indicate
> operational power equipment and are unfit for shops in my opinion.
>
> So, something along the lines of:
>
> shop=power_equipment
> power_equpiment="(photovoltaic, wind, battery, etc)"
> (NOT power=)

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand