[Tagging] Rivers classification

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Aug 7 08:51:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 08/06/2017 08:06 PM, Daniel Koć wrote:
> For general rendering on low zoom I would probably use combination of
> classic and Strahler/Shreve.
> order:classic=1 means only that this river goes to the sea, which is
> more important than the river with higher number, but
> order:strahler/order:shreve=1 means also that it's not important river
> anyway.

You are welcome to write a renderer that computes these orders from the
existing data but please don't expect or entice mappers to compute this
and add the tags (or worse, entice people to write scripts that compute
these orders and add the tags to OSM). That would be like adding "is_in"
tags because the geocoder cannot be expected to compute this by itself.

I agree that some sort of river classification might be helpful but you
cannot expect a mapper standing before a river to first analyse a large
dataset before they can find the right classification tag - that would
totally run counter of "on the ground verification".

Bye
Frederik