[Tagging] Rivers classification

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Mon Aug 7 11:22:08 UTC 2017

W dniu 07.08.2017 o 10:51, Frederik Ramm pisze:
> You are welcome to write a renderer that computes these orders from the
> existing data but please don't expect or entice mappers to compute this
> and add the tags (or worse, entice people to write scripts that compute
> these orders and add the tags to OSM). That would be like adding "is_in"
> tags because the geocoder cannot be expected to compute this by itself.

I don't expect anyone to do this. I just noticed that we lack any
worldwide classification of waterways (other than stream/river), which
could be valuable data for different things. Some things can be computed
and aggregated, but others are tagged as a general property - most
notably highway types.

> I agree that some sort of river classification might be helpful but you
> cannot expect a mapper standing before a river to first analyse a large
> dataset before they can find the right classification tag - that would
> totally run counter of "on the ground verification".

This list is about creating standards for tagging. I ask here how to tag
existing river classifications if someone wants to use it, not insist
that we have to do it.

--
"Like a halo in reverse" [M. Gore]