[Tagging] Pepper: Chili, piper, bell pepper

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sun Aug 20 20:15:54 UTC 2017

On 20.08.2017 21:50, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> And here is the wikipedia article for Piper (plant):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_(plant)

Well that is the Genus of 2000 different species, of which one is "Piper nigrum", the common spice.
There are tags for genus [1] and species [2] in OSM, where you can use the latin name. Beside these
exceptions, tagging language is British English, and in all varieties of English this spicy crop is
'pepper'.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:genus
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:species