[Tagging] Pepper: Chili, piper, bell pepper

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 20:48:03 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
> On 20.08.2017 21:50, Tobias Zwick wrote:
>>
>> And here is the wikipedia article for Piper (plant):
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_(plant)
>

> Well that is the Genus of 2000 different species, of which one is "Piper
> nigrum", the common spice.
> There are tags for genus [1] and species [2] in OSM, where you can use the
> latin name. Beside these exceptions, tagging language is British English,
> and in all varieties of English this spicy crop is 'pepper'.

The English word 'pepper' also applies to several plants in the genera
Aframomum, Capsicum, Pimenta, Schinus, and Zanthophylum (plus others
that are used in traditional herbal medicine but not for the kitchen).  I think
that the original poster wanted to disambiguate among these, which would
make the Linnæan names the best option - there isn't any easy way to
clarify it using only vulgar names.