[Tagging] Pepper: Chili, piper, bell pepper

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sun Aug 20 21:16:03 UTC 2017

On 20.08.2017 22:48, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> The English word 'pepper' also applies to several plants in the genera
> Aframomum, Capsicum, Pimenta, Schinus, and Zanthophylum (plus others
> that are used in traditional herbal medicine but not for the kitchen). > I think that the original poster wanted to disambiguate among these,

Yes of course, that's why he proposed produce=bell_pepper;chili_pepper.

> which would make the Linnæan names the best option - there isn't any easy way to
> clarify it using only vulgar names.

Well there is an easy way: Clearly describing in the wiki that produce=pepper means the fruits of
'piper nigrum'. Introducing an inconsistent language scheme will confuse all occasional mappers.
Latin names should remain reserved for genus=* and species=*, and you can add species:en=* for all
languages as well.

tom