[Tagging] Pepper: Chili, piper, bell pepper

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Aug 21 16:34:32 UTC 2017

On 21.08.2017 17:41, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> Any reason why you would prefer produce=chilli_pepper over produce=chili?

I'd prefer the double-L for the more BrE version.
chilli_pepper vs. chilli would give a focus on the spicy plant opposed to the dish "Chilli con/sin
carne", and a clear contrast to sweet_pepper.

> Generally, (not directly as an answer to you), subtagging with genus etc
> are nice, but I am seeing this out of the perspective of the surveyor.
> And the same holds for capsicum: He will be able to distinguish bell
> pepper from chili, but not Jalapeno from Cayenne.

Sure if the surveyour only inspects the crop, but it might be locally known that these are the
famous Habanero fields where XYZ company grows the ingredients for their renowned
16-Million-Scoville pepper sauce :-)
Thus of course variety, genus and species are voluntary.

Tom