[Tagging] shop=fashion

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 26 11:44:13 UTC 2017

Boutique is not a synonym for (expensive) fashion shop! A boutique
implies small scale, and can sell things other than clothes such as
jewellery and other accessories. The tagging should preferably be
objective (what things actually are) and not subjective (what you or I
might call a certain shop). A large proportion of the protracted
discussions about tagging are about people saying "well I would call it
an X" or "round here we call them Y" - this could go on for ever (and it
frequently does). Concepts like "department store" and "convenience
store" could be made more objective by considering what makes them so,
such as "large floor area" and "sells a very wide variety of things" or
"open long hours". This is what should be in OSM, in a quantified form,
either directly tagged or implied. Floor area can be calculated from the
building size + floors + retail usage, assortment of goods could be a
list of classes or departments, and opening_hours is a well-known
tagging concept.

//colin