[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - River Classification

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Tue Aug 29 09:50:26 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

After a proposal about waterways classification by Daniel Koć, I decided to make an alternative one. To me, using subjective values and criteria for classifying rivers is a better way, since it can work in any country regardless of the official classification. It could be adjusted for any country, like we do with the place=* tag. And it is inherently understandable by casual mappers.

So I propose a river=* tag with the following values:

* river=major for longest rivers
* river=big for big rivers
* river=small for all other rivers

See the proposal page for details on these values and rationale:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Rivers_Classification

Thanks,
Ilya