[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - River Classification

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Aug 30 16:37:12 UTC 2017

W dniu 30.08.2017 o 11:45, Ilya Zverev pisze:
> Emmor, regarding the classification based on what mapper sees, it is hard to do. Because to make rivers into a network, you must consider the whole network. That's a bit like with highways: you cannot choose its type based only on what you see (except for highway=motorway, of course). My proposed classification requires only checking wikipedia or another source for river parameters. So I assume that is already much simpler that tagging highways, and would help map style authors and other data consumers a lot.

There's another, more general problem with making waterways network
consistent. When there's a lake (or some other water reservoir), we
don't tag a river running through it in general. Maybe we need some
special role in relation:waterway (link) and waterway tagging
(waterway=river_link, waterway=stream_link)? It would be probably useful
for boat routing.

Or I miss something?

--
"Probably it's an eternal problem - too many chiefs, too few Indians" [O. Muzalyev]