[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - River Classification

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 17:20:10 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:
> There's another, more general problem with making waterways network
> consistent. When there's a lake (or some other water reservoir), we don't
> tag a river running through it in general. Maybe we need some special role
> in relation:waterway (link) and waterway tagging (waterway=river_link,
> waterway=stream_link)? It would be probably useful for boat routing.

Ordinarily, I do tag the Thalweg as waterway=river, and then the outline
as waterway=riverbank (or natural=water water=lake, or landuse=reservoir
as appropriate). That appears to be what the Wiki recommends. I do
try to maintain a continuous flow line.

I haven't done a lot of waterway tagging, but I've certainly
done some repair of other people's accidents with the banks of major
rivers, and that's how I've done it. It seems to render appropriately, and
I've heard no complaints.