[Tagging] Deprecating of leisure=common and leisure=village_green

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Dec 7 22:13:52 UTC 2017

On 07.12.2017 17:34, Marc Zoutendijk wrote:
> My view (and not mine only, read the discussion) is that a wiki should describe how a tag _is_used_
> and not how it should be used.

In principle, but not to the extreme to use it for something different.
landuse=village_green was approved by voting as "a distinctive part of a village centre".

Imagine, somebody proposes and uses amenity=cow, and then people come and tag pigs with amenity=cow,
and justify that by putting a picture of a pig on the wiki page.

The reason for the misunderstanding was that there was no suitable tag for what we are discussing
here now, so a similar sounding was being used. We do not improve the precision in tagging by
widening the definition onto two different things. We improve by clarifying and providing clear
solutions for both.

> Especially with regard to village_green it is striking to see how many mappers in the UK have used
> this tag "_against_ the original definition.”

Do you have proof that it was UK mappers who did that, and not somebody armchair painting green on
the map, from elsewhere?

> Making the tag village_green a useless tag (in the
> sense of that wiki) anyway.

Not if we clear the situation now.

> Anyway, another mapper has removed the pictures from the wiki.

No, they are on the talk page now.

> Thanks for this nice form of cooperation without any discussion at all.

You are wrong, it was discussed in the wiki since March 2017 (after you added the pictures on the
feature page in February), and recently in this list.

tom