[Tagging] Variable position

Matej Lieskovský lieskovsky.matej at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 13:06:22 UTC 2017

I respectfully disagree.

The benches are there, quite probably within 10m of their location in the
map. While this is abysmal accuracy, it is not entirely wrong. Isn't "there
aren't any known benches here" a worse information than being 10m off?

That same park has several stone benches that do not move. Let's say that I
tag the park with "bench=yes". So there is a park with "bench=yes" and
"bench:material=wood" that contains several "amenity=bench" with
"material=stone". I can imagine this would be rather confusing even to a
human.

Do we have a landuse=bench tag? Do we really want one? It does not feel
like the right key... But yes, some way of saying "there are 15 benches
somewhere in this area" sounds like a reasonable solution. Not sure if
better, but at least usable.

A "position=variable" tag feels more natural, but I do agree that it is far
from perfect.