[Tagging] Beef fattening stations

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 22:24:51 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Viking <viking81 at tin.it> wrote:

> @Mike
> 1) Ok, cow is the female only: then bovine would be better? Cattle in
> English is a term used for bovines only or for other species too?

"cattle" is  the correct term[1].  I was mistaken in my original email,
"bovine" is a broader term that includes other animals as well as domestic
cattle{3].  In answer to your question, "cattle" refers only to domestic
cattle, the term is not used to for other animals.

> 2) The intention of animal_breeding page was to descibe facilities were
> animals grow up, there wasn't a distinction between reproduction and
> fattening. Maybe we can specify it better if you want.

According to the wiki: "A facility where animals are bred, usually to sell
them. This tag is mainly intended for pet breedings, but it can be used for
any kind of animals. You should use this tag if breeding is the primary
activity of the facility, otherwise see Breeding as secondary activity
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Danimal_breeding#Breeding_as_secondary_activity>."[2]
 There is nothing in that opening line, nor in the rest of the wiki page,
about using the tag for places where animals grow up.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Danimal_breeding
[3] http://www.dictionary.com/browse/bovine