[Tagging] Tagging for Pipe Line Reserves

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:56:59 UTC 2017

Hi,

A question came up on the Australian list that would be more appropriate
here.

"My local area (and I'm sure many others) have lots of pipeline reserves.

I'm really not sure how to tag these. They appear to have

public access for walking at least. (One local one has a sign
disallowing golf...) Some others appear to be across private
land, and i'm less interested in those, I'd really like to
show those ones with public access.

examples:http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/370388062#map=17/-38.15997/145.20073

I've tagged them as leisure=park previously, and paths
           evident on the ground have just been tagged highway=path.

Any ideas?"

My comments:

I note the pipeline is not visible ... I assume underground and the
location is not evident so you cannot map the pipe line itself.

As it is a landuse ... ?
I would tag landuse=pipeline

However ... some pipe lines cross farms, residential areas ...  these have legal easements through the associated properties.
And these would be already tagged with a landuse.

Humm power lines are mapped ... should there be similar provision for other infrastructure?
Perhaps a 'infrastructure' tag that can be used for all?
infrastructure=pipeline
infrastructure=sewer
infrastructure=water
infrastructure=phone

Note it should be used for the area that is affected by/reserved for the infrastructure, not just the infrastructure itself?