[Tagging] Tagging for Pipe Line Reserves

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 05:38:38 UTC 2017

There is already a tagging structure for pipelines that takes into account
whether it's underground or overground. See

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/8964252

for a section of the Trans Alaska Pipeline. However, the land area above
the pipeline, which is restricted for casual access throughout Alaska, has
no special tagging.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A question came up on the Australian list that would be more appropriate
> here.
>
> "My local area (and I'm sure many others) have lots of pipeline reserves.
>
> I'm really not sure how to tag these. They appear to have
>
> public access for walking at least. (One local one has a sign
> disallowing golf...) Some others appear to be across private
> land, and i'm less interested in those, I'd really like to
> show those ones with public access.
>
> examples:http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/370388062#map=17/-
> 38.15997/145.20073
>

> I've tagged them as leisure=park previously, and paths
>           evident on the ground have just been tagged highway=path.
>

> Any ideas?"
>
> My comments:
>
> I note the pipeline is not visible ... I assume underground and the
> location is not evident so you cannot map the pipe line itself.
>
> As it is a landuse ... ?
> I would tag landuse=pipeline
>
> However ... some pipe lines cross farms, residential areas ...  these have
> legal easements through the associated properties.
> And these would be already tagged with a landuse.
>
> Humm power lines are mapped ... should there be similar provision for
> other infrastructure?
> Perhaps a 'infrastructure' tag that can be used for all?
> infrastructure=pipeline
> infrastructure=sewer
> infrastructure=water
> infrastructure=phone
>
> Note it should be used for the area that is affected by/reserved for the
> infrastructure, not just the infrastructure itself?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand