[Tagging] self-service laudry machines a camp and caravan sites

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:19:23 UTC 2017

On 11-Feb-17 07:48 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com
> <mailto:voschix at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I see on the wiki page
>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dcamp_site
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dcamp_site>
>     the option
>     shop=laundry
>
>     This does not seem to be appropriate to map caravan sites that
>     offer self-service coin-operated washing machines or dryers (and
>     it seems not to be in use anyway).
>

> I lived for years in such a caravan site, feel free to see how I
> mapped it. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/36.16709/-95.86615

Scattered around the UK in towns such as Saffron Walden are 'launderets'
(this one is not in OSM, and I hesitate to put it in as my memory of the
location is not good, though Google looks to the correct)  .. self
service machines coin operated (usually with very expensive coin
operated soap powder - better to buy that at the local supermarket).
Sometimes you may find a 'supervisor' .. most of the time not. I think
there is little difference between the two .. though usually the camping
crowd are more friendly.
My memory of the location such places is vague .. while a good thing to
use they are not something that I find that attractive, I tend to
remember the town, where I staid, the people and attractions I found.

In the more populated parts of Australia and NZ you can find
'Laundromats' .. similar to the UK ones but with a better climate.