[Tagging] knotted willows

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Sat Feb 11 12:34:49 UTC 2017


* joost schouppe <joost.schouppe at gmail.com> [170211 09:43]:
> One of the defining small landscape elements in Flanders (and probably many
> rural areas in Europe) is the "knotted willow". I'm not sure if this is the
> right term in English, in Dutch "knotwilg" really is a thing.

> How would you tag such a thing? (I could not find any previous discussions
> anywhere)

> natural=tree
> genus=Salix
> +
> management_style=knotted

> Or something like that?

> Apparently there's two words in Dutch:
> - knotwilg: knotted at about 2 meters high
> - grienden: knotted at a hight of maximum 50 cm

apparently english has words for these managements styles:
- "knotwilg" would be called "Pollarding"
- "grienden" would be called "Coppicing"

Wikipedia has pages on both.


More information about the Tagging mailing list