[Tagging] self-service laudry machines a camp and caravan sites

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 23:30:15 UTC 2017

@John, An observation:

It's a funny thing but since I began traveling a number of years ago, I
noticed that while dryers are quite common in the U.S., they are less
common in the rest of the world, especially in poorer countries. A very few
laundry shops here in Thailand have dryers, most do not. Probably 99% of
clothing in Thailand is dried outdoors in the sun. People who use automated
washers take their washed and still wet clothes home where they hang them
out to dry. That's not too practical in wintry climates, agreed, but
Americans use dryers even in the summer.

I think a subtag for dryers is appropriate and could be useful.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 5:29 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
wrote:

> Here in the USA, I have never seen a self-service laundry that did not
> have dryers, but I don't know whether that is true worldwide.  I suppose it
> is best to err on the side of caution and include a subtag for the presence
> of dryers.
>
> On February 11, 2017 8:18:27 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> sent from a phone
>>
>> On 11 Feb 2017, at 10:28, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> shop=laundry
>> automated=yes
>> self_service=yes
>>
>> covers it nicely. In the U.S., we use the term laundromat and I would
>> much prefer to use that scheme but the established tag is shop=laundry.
>>

>> do we imply driers as well? Should we have a subtag?
>>
>> The staffed laundries often offer also dry cleaning, which I've never
>> seen in an automated one, and the wiki suggests a different main tag for
>> them: shop=dry_cleaning
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Ddry_cleaning
>>
>> IMHO, as apparently there are mixed types, it would be better to organize
>> this as subtags within the laundry tag, e.g. dry_cleaning=yes/no/only
>>
>> cheers,
>> Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska