[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Power pole extension

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Thu Feb 16 02:00:47 UTC 2017

The RMS voltage of an alternating-current electrical source is the
direct-current voltage that would supply the same power into a resistive
load. That is to say, imagine you have an AC power source operating a
heating element, and a DC power source operating an identical heating
element. The DC connection powers the heating element continuously. The AC
signal starts at zero volts, increases to a peak, then decreases back to
zero. Then it does that again, to a negative voltage (the electrons flow in
the opposite direction). The heating element doesn't care which direction
the electrons are flowing; both directions produce the same amount of heat.
 If the net heat production from the AC-powered heating element is the same
as the net heat production from the DC-powered element, then the Root Mean
Square voltage of the AC power source is the same as the constant DC
voltage from the DC power source.