[Tagging] access: motorcar and goods, how to read the hierarchy

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Feb 17 11:26:58 UTC 2017

Mistake #1: assuming that there is a vehicle class hierarchy (of any kind).

Typically law-makers see no reason to conform to computer science
niceties when drafting regulations (rightly so) and will simply add or
deduct vehicle properties in ways that make sense for the regulation in
question (well most of the time :-)).

The OSM hierarchical approach makes sense from a practical mapping pov,
but will have issues accurately modelling such edge cases and I would
suggest just living with that.

Simon

PS: as I pointed out years back, vehicle class hierarchies also tend to
change between moving and resting traffic.