[Tagging] access: motorcar and goods, how to read the hierarchy

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:26:19 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 18 Feb 2017, at 22:36, Tristan Anderson <andersontristan at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't see anything wrong with the hierarchy.  It was mentioned that there are signs in Germany that forbid motorcars to pass.  Are you sure that these signs aren't prohibiting all vehicles from passing?  This may be the case even if there's a picture of a car on the sign.

in Germany the sign with the car on it is about "Kraftwagen" which includes besides pkw (cars) also buses and hgv, but it doesn't include motorbikes (Kraftrad), typically you'll see a sign which forbids entry for both these classes: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildtafel_der_Verkehrszeichen_in_der_Bundesrepublik_Deutschland_seit_2013#/media/Datei%3AZeichen_260_-_Verbot_für_Krafträder_und_Mofas_und_sonstige_mehrspurige_Kraftfahrzeuge%2C_StVO_1992.svg

there's no class for "Kraftwagen" in osm if motorcar is about cars  (Personenkraftwagen, or is that passenger car?): https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personenkraftwagen
but I'm not sure about the corresponding term because you can't really rely on wikipedia interlinking here, at least the italian article should be linked to Personenkraftwagen, not to automobile as it is now: https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovettura
and likely the English one as well. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car
but the English one is not clear in any way, anyway.

Apparently the uk doesn't have a traffic sign restricting the access just for cars:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/traffic-signs

cheers,
Martin