[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - CoreIndoor

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Feb 20 11:17:03 UTC 2017

Currently nothing breaks when SIT is used and additional ways are added
as a stop gap measure to enable "current" routing engines to work a bit
in such areas (just as it is common to do with pedestrian areas and so
on), and nobody has suggested that such mapping be outlawed (if that was
at all possible in an OSM context).

What however is being requested is that we add a parallel tagging scheme
to SIT based on using ways. That would seem to be turning the clock back
5 years. IndoorOSM, on which SIT is loosely based historically, used
areas for corridors and similar elements and had a working routing
engine that didn't require adding additional ways in 2012. It would seem
silly to spend effort to closely specify something that we want to move
away from.

See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2017/Project_Ideas#Support_for_indoor_routing_.28SIT_schema.29
for something that would allow us to move forward, not backward.

Simon